Wednesday, August 18, 2004

A secret vice

"...they all feed the great hype beasts."
-Haemish from Waterthread.org

Blame it on short attention span. I was alternating between reading an article (The Aberrant Blue Sky) on Waterthread.org and typing this. An interesting article at that. Mainly, it talked about journalism (specifically, gaming journalism), the fact that true objectivity in these types of journalism is impossible and the 'values' of having rant sites.

I will like to take this opportunity to assure patrons visiting here that this blog is also nothing more than a rant site. We feed the hype beasts here on a regular basis and sometimes even after midnight. Every "news I bring to you here is filtered through my cracked lenses and the only constant is my love of well-done games" and other interests that include films and music. Then perhaps, there is also the disconcerting obsession with my own thoughts and speaking these thoughts.

Yet another worrying indulgence may be my passion for the trivia- the footnotes in fine print, appendixes, backstories and general business that no one really cared about. I am quite a nosy individual, though I generally stay away from big current news. Choosing to take interest in little unknown information or the most obvious facts. A most obvious hazard caused by this habit is that I am very easily distracted. I should think that if I were to drive a car, my passengers would quiver in fear when it hit them that I could not focus on the road ahead of me for a solid 3 minutes. Some friends commented that I had frequently snapped into a dazed, day-dreaming state wherever I go.

While waiting to catch the Olympics basketball or badminton matches on tv earlier, I stumbled on the gymnastics finals. The commentator told little facts about this russian female gymnast, Yelena Zamolodchikova while she was on the floor exercise apparatus. Apparently, she is a pretty superstitious person who carries a luck charm in the form of a Winnie the Pooh toy wherever she goes. Her father had been involved in the Chernobyl clean-up and had passed away because of cancer.

What can you make of that little trivia? I figured each of these athletes has a similar interesting backstory, each of them a legend in their own country. Some trivias open up new perspectives on things. Those without intrinsic values can be cool too. I had come to know another interesting aspect about trivias- For obvious reasons or not, it may be that some trivial information were not meant to be looked too deeply into, or dissected and analysed.

I found, from some notes, this thing Ben Okri wrote in one of his books. (I had not kept a reference of which book it was from)

"If you look too deeply, everything breaks your heart."
-Ben Okri

I am reminded of this story about a tadpole too. A tadpole once lived in a small pond where he longed to be an adult frog so he could see the better part of the world. Emerging from the pond, the tadpole-turned-teenage-frog hopped happily away from the confines of the pond. A fascinating world awaited him, that is until he came upon a road and got promptly squashed by a 3-tonne truck.

Ok, I made up that story. I will end this with something else I found in the notes.

This is Just to Say (1934)
by William Carlos Williams (1883-1963)

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


6 comments:

fraggleroc said...

Even I gotta sign in to post a comment. :/ I think most blogger-powered blogs are like that. It is easy to use though- took this html-idiot all of about 5 mins to get it up and running. I will try to replace the comments thingie if I can.

hmm Another way is to "Post Anonymously" and just leave ya name in the comment if you don't wanna create an account.

Love his books too- Ben Okri's. haha Thanks for the visit.

Sheylara said...

I like the poem you posted. It sounds flippant without actually being so. :P Any particular reason why you posted it?

fraggleroc said...

Just feels like an apt ending. I like the poem too. That's why I had copied it into my notes. It's supposed to be a popular piece I think and one of the first poems you'll learn in this "Poetry-for-Idiots 101" book that I read a long time ago. (Can't recall the actual title of the book)

Didn't mean it to mean anything actually. But looking at it now, you can take the desire for the plums to be synonymous with my fascination for the Trivia. And you can take the word 'cold' to mean... Hmm... You see, this is getting to become a very complicated affair. lol 'Dissecting and analysing' stuff can be a very cold affair. :)

fraggleroc said...

I actually did a little 'hunting' on the poem. Quite an amusing discussion it generated, as you can see. Kinda reinforces its place as a good poem.

I love this post especially lol -

From Leniad:

It's a little known fact that WCW actually wrote two more verses to
this poem, which i've reproduced below in their entirety:

I am sorry but
if you really
wanted them

you would have put
your name
on them.

fraggleroc said...

Another interesting interpretation of this poem.

Sheylara said...

Heheh. I like this post:

"This is not a nice person! He at the plums he KNEW you were saving for breakfast, barely makes a decent apology, and then gloats over the wonderful way they tasted. This guy is not a great guy!"

The thing is, I don't know why this poem is considered a "good poem". I'm not a poetry lover. In fact, I don't really like reading poetry, especially those very abstract ones which you can interpret a million ways, because I find them pretentious.

That is why I like this WCW poem, because it's about simple, everyday things and has a catchy kind of rhythm. But that's just me. Why do regular poetry lovers like this poem?