Friday, October 01, 2004

Legend of Condor Heroes

I had taped and tried to follow this Legend of Condor Heroes (She-Diao-Ying-Xiong-Zhuan) series on tv (scv channel55) since a couple weeks ago. It is, IMO, an excellent rendition of the first of the popular trilogy novels by Jin Yong (Louis Cha). Still, the series may not suit everyone's taste because it is done by CCTV, a mainland's (China's) production- the styles employed were largely different from that of the Hong Kong tv series we had become so used to.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mainly, this series had an intimate and realistic portrayal of the characters Guo Jing (Li Yapeng) and Huang Rong (Zhou Xun). There were also good performances by the supporting actors, for example Sun Haiying who portrayed Hong Qigong. Both leads had great chemistry. Li Yapeng made a believable Guo Jing. Zhou Xun especially brought to life the character of Huang Rong- being both adorable and intelligent at the same time. Large credit had to be given to the director Ju Jue Liang as well. The series told Jin Yong's story well. Guo Jing and Huang Rong's adventures. A glimpse of the great mongolian ruler Genghis Khan. Questioned the ideals that constitute Heroism. /plug

Did I say Zhou Xun was adorable?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In effect, it made me want to read the novels again.

2 comments:

Sheylara said...

I love this series!!! Zhou Xun is really hot, I agree, even though I'm female. Her costumes in this show are so awesome I want to cosplay them. And she does a real mean crying scene. Beautiful cinematography and effects. And I just love that song they play at the end of each episode. Okay I shall stop gushing now.

fraggleroc said...

Ruok: Yep I've heard of The Little Seamstress too and wanted to catch it. Now, there's more reason to try to pick up the dvd, coz Zhou Xun's in it!

Shey: Shey cosplay as Huang Rong?! ;P Wor, bow to the Leader of the Beggar Sect! Yeah, I really like the odd couple of Guo Jing and Huang Rong too. And ermm... contrary to popular belief that guys prefer gals with big kawaii eyes, I'm naturally attracted to gals with those kinda 'elven' eyes (or 'phoenix'-eyes/feng-yan as they call em) like Zhou Xun's (shrug) I've only briefly known 2 or 3 girls with such eyes in my life haha