Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Hours (2002)

Been looking for the dvd of this movie. Wanted to watch it again.


Leonard: Virginia (Woolf) we must go back home now. Nelly is cooking dinner. She has already had such a difficult day. It is our obligation to eat Nelly's dinner.
Virginia: There is no such obligation. No such obligation exists.
Leonard: Virginia, you have a obligation to your own sanity!
Virginia: I have endured this custody. Endured this imprisonment.
Leonard (with contempt): Oh Virginia!
Virginia (disdainfully): I am attended by doctors. Everywhere. I am attended by doctors, who inform me of my own interests.
Leonard: They know your interests.
Virginia: They do not. They do not speak for my interests.
Leonard: Virginia I can, I can see it must be hard for a women of your...
Virginia : Of my what?
Leonard: of your, your...
Virginia:(angry) of my what exactly?
Leonard: of your talents to see that she may not be the best judge of her own condition.
Virginia: But who then is a better judge?
Leonard (raised voice/ exasperation): You have a history...you have a history of confinement. We brought you to Richmond because you have a history of fits, moods, blackouts, hearing voices. We brought you here to save you from the irrevocable damage you intended upon yourself. You have tried to kill yourself twice. I live daily with that threat. I set up the press,... we set up the printing press not just for itself, not just purely for itself but so that you might have a ready source of absorption and a remedy.
Virginia: Like needlework!
Leonard (shouting out of hurt): It was done for you! It was done for your betterment. It was done out of love! If I didn't know you better I'd call this ingratitude.
Virginia (somber): I'm ungrateful. You call me ungrateful . My life has been stolen from me. I am living in a town I don't wish to live in. I am living a life I have no wish to live. How did this happen? It is time for us to move back to London. I miss London. I miss London life.
Leonard: This is not you speaking Virginia. This is an aspect of your illness
Virginia (pleading): Its me! It is me!
Leonard (both are speaking at the same time): No
Virginia (angry): It is mine and mine alone!
Leonard (patient): No, it is the voice that you hear
Virginia (sorrow/raised voice): No it is not. It is mine. I am dying in this town.
Leonard: If you were thinking clearly Virginia you will remember it was London that brought you down.
Virginia: If I were thinking clearly... If I were thinking clearly...
Leonard (whispers/in a barely audible voice): We brought you to Richmond to give you peace?
Virginia: If I were thinking clearly Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark and only I can know, only I can understand my own condition. You live with the threat; you tell me, you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too. This is my right; it is the right of every human being. I choose not the suffocating anesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the Capital, that is my choice. The meanest patient, yes, even the very lowest is allowed some say in the matter of her own prescription. Thereby she defines her humanity. I wish, for your sake, Leonard, I could be happy in this quietness but if it is a choice between Richmond and death, I choose death.
Leonard (on the brink of tears): Very well, London then. We go back to London then.

No comments: