Monday, July 12, 2004

An Angel at my table

It was a Picture Night many years ago, that I chanced upon this gem of a film- "An Angel at my table", directed by Jane Campion. It told the story of another New Zealander, a writer named Janet Frame. Fascinated by the film, I was eager to find out more about its subject. I picked up a couple of books she wrote, Owls Do Cry and Faces in the Water. I soon found out she really had big fuzzy hair, as depicted in the film.

A search on Google returned several sites that described her as a 'reclusive writer'. I felt mildly amused reading these descriptions. Janet Frame's books are intensely personal and often, autobiographical. Though she seeked solitude, here is someone who shared with us her life experiences, who 'poured' her thoughts into accessible words, into books that we can readily pick up to read. Yet, she came across as being 'inaccessible' or 'withdrawn from society'.

Janet Frame passed away on 29 January 2004. Didn't get the news till about a couple months ago. I will remember her as the writer with big fuzzy hair.

It is easy to dismiss someone as 'insane', it is much harder to try to understand a person.
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woot! u have a blog! *o) nicely done.

*~ Aftiel ~*

fraggleroc said...

hey FT ;o) yep my first attempt at a blog. Dunno much about html and stuff too. I didn't do anything here really. The template is a generated one. It's all 'automated'! lol hrmm I'm a pretty boring person, hope I can dig out some interesting content to add here soon.